Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DR question

2003-02-04 11:47:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DR question
From: ssesar AT mitre DOT org (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 11:47:21 -0500
We have our backup domain (Windows) spread across two datacenters. We
have our SAN mirrored between these datacenters.

Here's what we have for infrastructure:

All running 4.5MP3 on Windows.
All clients Windows only.

A Bldg - Primary Datacenter:

Master/Media server
SCSI attached 4xSDLT
SAN-attached media server, which
is the passive node in a cluster

B Bldg - DR Datacenter:

Standby server with Master server mirrored on it.
SAN-attached media server
SAN-attached 4xSDLT

A bldg performs all day-to-day backups of LAN clients, and SAN-attached
clients are backed up to B bldg.

In the event that B bldg goes away, we need a way to backup the SAN. I
know that we can move physically move the robot which is attached to the
master/media server to the SAN in A bldg. We have the gear in place to
do that.

My question is whether or not that is necessary? Can we sucessfully
route backups of SAN clients to our master/media server?

Thanks,

Steve