Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Correction: NBU Pro and VSM (NOT VSR)

2003-01-29 14:45:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Correction: NBU Pro and VSM (NOT VSR)
From: jkennedy AT qualcomm DOT com (Kennedy, Jeffrey)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:45:27 -0800
My apologies for such a simple, yet impactful, error.  I am actually
looking for opinions and experience with NBU Pro and Veritas Storage
Migrator.

Many people have asked what my issues are so I'm going to lay them out
in summary.
The problems are with both VxVM on Windows and NBU Pro on Windows.

1) The advertised limit of "many TB's" for VxVm under windows using the
snap feature was bogus.  We ran into a real ceiling of 1TB, then it
would barf.  It took Veritas almost 2 months to find the right person
who said "Oh, I see the problem.  It's this line right here.  It doesn't
use a floating point."

2) The snapshot feature 'fast sync', or something like, that is supposed
to just update changed blocks after the first full sync.  Not so, we
have found.  A full sync of a 7TB data store takes 4 days.  Each update
after the initial transfer also takes 4 days.

3) NBU Pro is supposed to reduce the total amount of data backed up by
only backing up unique data.  So only one copy of MS Office would be
backed up even though you may have 30 copies on disk somewhere.  To
discover the commonalities it must do a full system scan initially to
determine the uniqueness against data it already has in it's database.
This full system scan is somewhat intensive to say the least but is
supposed to happen only once.  However, we have test clients where it
does a full scan every time.  This has been attributed to a myriad of
things, not the least of which is an ungraceful shutdown (and it doesn't
matter if the shutdown is during a backup or not).

There are many other issues that I don't want to go into but these are
just a few.  Some of you may say "What the hell are you doing with a 7TB
volume on Windows anyway?!" and I would agree.  But unlike NBU DC, you
cannot have multiple disk stu's.

Thanks.

~JK