Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup

2003-01-27 13:39:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup
From: vaxzilla AT jarai DOT org (Brian Chase)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:39:14 -0800 (PDT)
On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Kennedy, Jeffrey wrote:

> Slow as in sloooooooowwwww.  When I tried vaulting from tape to tape
> with original backups using a 6 MPX, I was seeing kb/sec transfer rate.
> No matter what I did, or Veritas tech support had me try, I got a
> maximum transfer rate of 700kb/sec.  Not really feasible in today's data
> center.
>
> But that could have just been me.  Tech support seemed stumped.

When using MPX, you're splitting the stream across multiple drives.
Did you have multiple drives available (and occupied) by the MPX'ed
tapes that were being copied to the non-MPX offsite?

I'd imagine that if you had, say, only one drive available on the
"read" end of that copy, the library would be spending an awful lot of
time changing between tapes, seeking, and rewinding.  That scenerio
could certainly explain seeing such low throughput.

-brian.