Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Questions on Staging to Disk and MS Exchange Age nt

2003-01-27 12:24:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Questions on Staging to Disk and MS Exchange Age nt
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:24:51 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2C628.FFB3A530

I do this.  I stage backups to drives attached to my media server, then use
scripts built around bpduplicate, bpimagelist, & bpexpdate to duplicate
these backups to tape, then expire the disk image.

The logic looks a little like this
1. use bpimagelist to query disk storage unit for image names
2. use bpduplicate to duplicate images to tape
3. use bpimagelist to verify there's a copy on tape
4. if tape image is recorded, then use bpexpdate to expire the disk copy

I've got other logic that uses a configuration file to associate a tape pool
name with class & schedule names to sort the images but this is the basic
core of it.

It works nicely, it consolidates backups so I'm not always mounting &
unmouting tapes, it makes the backups from the clients faster, and the disk
storage unit has higher availability than my tape libraries.  The only
problem that I have is that the disk storage units do not inherently
compress like a tape drive does (there is some new exceptions so this on
some arrays).  The client compression saves some space but it is a pretty
lousy algorithm and doesn't squish the data much - plus there's client CPU
load to use it.

HTH -M