Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] updating NBU clients (was re: Considering moving to NetBackup)

2003-01-27 12:15:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] updating NBU clients (was re: Considering moving to NetBackup)
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:15:02 -0600
>Rob Worman <rob AT worman DOT org> had this to say,

>>  update = the update_clients command on your unix master server (or
>>  the patch install wizard on an NT client) uses the NBU bpcd protocol
>>  to push out the changes.  e.g. your Unix master can push out all the
>>  updated binaries to ALL the unix clients.  Pure noninteractive NBU
>>  activity, no reliance on rsh whatsoever.  Doesn't matter if it's a
>>  solaris master updating a MacOSX client, as long as both ends are
>>  "Unix" it will work.
>
>I'm not quite sure what you're saying.  If I have a unix server, which has
>update binaries for unix, windows and macosX, will the unix server be able
>to UPDATE these clients?  It sounds like you're saying that the answer would
>be "yes," but I'm confused by "as long as both ends are "Unix" it will work."

Sorry, I got a little sloppy with my "unix" references.  In your
example above, the unix and macosx clients could be updated by your
unix master server.  the windows client could not.

>>  NBU is maybe a little better than what you describe.  There's no easy
>>  way to view the patch level that a particular remote client is
>>  running.  ("bpgetconfig -g <clientname>" comes tantalizingly
>>  close...)  But if you have access to said client, the
>>  netbackup/bin/version file contains that info.
>
>What about the patchlog?

The patchlog only exists on the master server, and would only serve
to confirm that the master's "depot" of client binaries is up to
date.  It does not tell you that a particular client is running those
up to date binaries.

HTH
rob