Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup

2003-01-24 23:02:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup
From: Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com (Len Boyle)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 23:02:51 -0500
Hello Deb

You have fired up this group a little bit.

I do not know networker so my comments will have to deal with NetBackup which
may not be shared with others at this site.

NBU has a wide range of clients. But they only support one release level down.
So if you install nbu 4.5 they only support 4.5 and 3.4 clients. And Tech
support says that they do not support 4.5 clients at a higher patch level then
the master/media servers.
This makes it fun when one has clients o/s levels that have to remain at older
levels due to application or hardware issues. An example of a problem child for
us will be hp/ux which has no client support in nbu 4.5 so it will be
unsupported with netbackup version 5.

The Tech support on the whole seems quite good. But not if the problem requires
someone who can read and or write source code. They seem to have a rule that
they folks that you can talk to can not talk to a developer. Unless you pay big
bucks for extra support. Of course that might just be for me.

The company does seem to be open to changing the product, and they do take
suggestions. They said that the readme for a feature pack coming out next month
is 900 pages long. This sounds like a new release. Many new features.

>From a Unix master you can not install/upgrade the windows client. Our pc
>folks created an install package from the cdrom image and four patch sets.
>They can run this package as a post process on the build process for a new
>server or by itself.
Of course it was a pain in that they had to use the base install package (3.4),
then a patch that upgraded it to 3.41, then one to bring it up to 3.4.1.3, then
another two hot patches. The patches for windows have to be downloaded with the
nbu windows master patches. Of course a nbu tech support person told me that
offically they only support windows install from cdrom.

So it is not too hard to push out unix and windows patches. But the patches do
not seemed to have any easy  way to record that they have a problem when
batched.

Version logging is almost non-existant. You have to go look in the patch
history file on each machine and see which patches have been installed. Also
the place to look for install issues.

Not  unique to Veritas, it seems that many problems require one to purchase
another feature.
Too share san tape drives between clients, you purchase sso.
To have an offsite product and/or manage duplicating tape, you purchase vault.
You have a server with many small files that you want to run incremental
backups on, you purchase another product (I think that it is called flash
backup). The client takes so long looking for a file that needs to backup that
the server times
out the session, but the client does not seem to know about the timeout so it
keeps on truckin.
You want reporting, then you purchase advanced reporter

For client DR veritas purchased a small Texas company called The Kernal Group
which did AIX software and a small product call BMR (Bare Metal Restore). This
product is driven by client exits which query the data such as filesystems etc
needed to set up a system for a restore and stores it in a small data base. For
DR one boots a small system which builds a basic system  and then restores the
data, including the system code. The great thing about this product is that any
changes in the system layout are picked up during the next backup. Of course
this is an extra cost. But only for the clients that you use it for. And it
appears to be less then what the Kernal Group charged.

They do have a problem keeping up with some clients at times. At this time
their Linux support does not cover Red Hat 8, or anything other then ext2
support. Unless it is in the readme for MP3 and I could not find it.

They could improve their error messages. The job history for a job reports the
highest status code, which many times is not the root cause. And for the
server, one may have something like 10 log files to look at and compare. And no
structure between many of the records.

They could improve the nbu 4.5 admin gui -- as talked about by others.

They could improve the admin functions by added better support for multiple
priv levels. Full admin, operator, domain admins. For example unix client
admins, windows client admins etc.

Regards len boyle