Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup

2003-01-24 18:11:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup
From: deb AT tickleme.llnl DOT gov (Deb)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:11:27 -0800
Kennedy, Jeffrey <jkennedy AT qualcomm DOT com> had this to say,

> Well, until last week they did not support DAR.  This is an indication
> of their commitment to NDMP (or lack of) since every other major backup
> vendor had supported DAR over a year ago.  And dynamic drive sharing for
> NDMP?  Don't look for that for another year even though NetVault from
> Backbone had it a year ago as well.
>
> For some reason, Veritas sees themselves as a competitor of NetApp even
> though their NAS product is light years behind a filer.

Good info.  Thanks for sharing your viewpoint on this.  I'm sure it will
figure into how we manage the NDMP side of things.   From what I have seen in
the industry, there are no pretty NDMP solutions - and Legato has many of its
own problems in this area, although it's been released since some time last
year (DAR and DDS).

> The scripting in NBU is pretty decent so you will win on that front.
> The client push only works for the same platform as the master.  So in a
> mixed environment you will still visit the clients that are a differing
> platform than the master.

So, to clarify - you're saying that I cannot push out Windoze client updates
from a Sun "master?"  What about using a Windoze machine (does it have to be a
master?) to update other Windoze boxes?

We do not want to support more than one kind of backup server, a Windows box
would not be a server in our environment.

> I will say this, the write format alone might be worth it.  I have had
> to recover data from the catalogue tapes many times using tar rather
> than NBU.

Yes, the flexibility of the different formasts would be a boon.

deb