Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU3.4 IDR/BMR for Linux

2003-01-19 20:37:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU3.4 IDR/BMR for Linux
From: plb AT iotk DOT com (Peter L. Buschman)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 02:37:47 +0100
--=====================_315273188==.ALT

Hi Michael:

Are your systems CD-bootable?  If so, check out Knoppix:  www.knoppix.org/
Knoppix is Debian-based and I've used NBU 3.4 clients on my other Debian
systems
quite successfully.   Customizing Knoppix is well-documented, so building a
bootable
CD that prompts for hostname, IP address, and includes an NBU client is all
very possible.

This also works very well with Partimage:  www.partimage.org, for
performing bare metal
recovery of Linux systems ( it will do NTFS too, actually ) and then
restoring using the
NBU client that your bare metal restore recovered.

--PLB

At 08:42 PM 1/17/2003 +0100, Michael Graff Andersen wrote:

>Hello All
>
>I'm interested in making a IDR/BMR-solution for Linux Redhat.
>
>My idea is to create a boot-diskette with a mini-OS with network and a
>mini NetBackup client.
>
>The idea is to be able to boot on diskette and then restore all from tape.
>
>Has anybody done something like this ?
>
>Ideas/howtos/comments will be appreiciated.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Michael
>The wisest mind has something yet to learn.

--=====================_315273188==.ALT

Hi Michael:<br><br>
Are your systems CD-bootable?&nbsp; If so, check out Knoppix:&nbsp;
Knoppix is Debian-based and I've used NBU 3.4 clients on my other Debian
systems<br>
quite successfully.&nbsp;&nbsp; Customizing Knoppix is well-documented,
so building a bootable<br>
CD that prompts for hostname, IP address, and includes an NBU client is
all very possible.<br><br>
This also works very well with Partimage:&nbsp;
for performing bare metal<br>
recovery of Linux systems ( it will do NTFS too, actually ) and then
restoring using the<br>
NBU client that your bare metal restore recovered.<br><br>
--PLB<br><br>
At 08:42 PM 1/17/2003 +0100, Michael Graff Andersen wrote:<br><br>
&nbsp;<br>
Redhat.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
network and a mini NetBackup client.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
all from tape.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>