Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] getting status 10 with ndmp

2003-01-17 02:26:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] getting status 10 with ndmp
From: Andreas.Hohmann AT diwega DOT ch (Andreas Hohmann)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:26:39 +0100
Good Morning

Master-/Mediaserver:    HPUX 10.20
NBU:                    3.4.1
Client                  F825, ONTAP 6.3.1

We are backing up our netapp filer via ndmp to lto drives. The backup runs
successfully exept for one volume.
The volume has a size of more than. 300GB with user home directories (windows)
on it.

The backup of this volume constantly fails after some 220 GB with status code
10 (Originally it started with status code 13).
Veritas sais that this points to lack of resources on the hp-system. We
adjusted some of the kernel settings according to docs found on the veritas
website.
However the error persists and we get no improvement at all.

When we add 'SET HIST = N' to the filelist the backup runs successfully. This
behaviour is explained in tchnote 244680
(http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/244680.htm). According to this document
temp space has to be increased, which we did. But still no success.

My question: Is there anybody out there who is successfully backing up large
volumes (>300GB) on NetApp with NBU 3.4 and ndmp?

BTW: to split the volume in smaller pieces is not feasible, since the're are
hundreds of directories and performance is dramatically slowin down. Also a
migration to 4.5 is out of question at the moment.

Any help, hints, ideas are greatly appreciated.

regards

Andreas Hohmann

Diwega GmbH
Birmensdorferstr. 24