Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] vxdump/restore problem

2003-01-10 13:04:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] vxdump/restore problem
From: JaehneRS AT state DOT gov (Jaehne, Richard S)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:04:08 -0500
All,

I'm relatively new to Veritas and I'm having an issue with vxdump.  I'm
running Veritas File System 3.4 on a Solaris 8 server.  I'm having some
problems with vxdump/restore.  I use hostdump.sh to back up my servers.  By
default hostdump.sh uses ufsdump and will use vxdump if it is installed on
the system.  Then it will run ufsrestore/vxrestore in -t mode to verify the
data on the tape.  I backed up my server, got no errors on the dump of the
vx filesystems.  But when vxrestore -t ran I got the following error:

>Positioning to Pt# 5 w/cmd: /bin/mt -f /dev/rmt/0cbn fsf 4
> Reading File system irmtwduxsd:/usr2
> This was a vxfs file system on a sparcv9-sun-solaris2.8s
>system.
> (It was backed up with vxdump.)
>  Using Command: /usr/sbin/vxrestore -ty -b 64 -f/dev/rmt/0cbn
>UX:vxfs vxrestore: ERROR: cannot preserve extent attributes

Then the tape scan runs without further errors.  Except I cannot restore off
of the tape.  I tried to run vxrestore to test the backup and got the error
that the file was not in dump format.

I'm sort of new at veritas.  Any ideas??????

TIA,

Sean Jaehne