Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Difference between ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and /

2003-01-07 13:34:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Difference between ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and /
From: alevin AT audible DOT com (Adam Levin)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 13:34:02 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Lee, Kenneth wrote:
> On Solaris clients running NB 4.5, what are the differences between
> ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and / ?  In the manual, it said do not use "cross mount
> point" if you are using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES.  Yet, when we are backing up
> clients using / and we set "cross mount point".

"/" in the file list will backup the root directory.  If you select "cross
mount points", you will also backup all mounted filesystems, since they
must mount from somewhere under the root directory.  This will backup your
entire computer in one backup job using one stream.

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES will kick off a separate backup job for each mounted
filesystem, and is particularly useful with multiple streams (when you
have multiple drives available on your media server, naturally).

Hope this helps,
-Adam

Adam Levin, Senior Unix Systems Administrator | http://www.audible.com/
Audible, Inc.     There's more to life than money, ya know.  Don't you
Wayne, NJ, 07470  know that?  And here you are.   And it's a beautiful
973-837-2797      day.