Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Ethernet Bottleneck - need design suggestions

2002-12-19 22:50:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Ethernet Bottleneck - need design suggestions
From: jks AT jasons DOT us (jks AT jasons DOT us)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:50:45 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Chip Paswater wrote:

[snip]

> Should I turn on compression in Veritas as well as using drive compression?
> Or should I use one or the other.  If so, which one?  I would assume drive
> compression only, but wouldn't compression from within Netbackup give me
> compression over my already taxed ethernet link?

Definitely not.  The only time you should use client-side compression is
when you have fast machinery and a very slow (like 10mbit or worse)
network.  Let the drives do your compression - they're better at it than
the backup clients and that way your backups will have less impact on the
clients themselves.  (compression is very CPU intensive)

[snip]
> Thanks Jason, this makes perfect sense.  Sounds like what I need to do is
> let the e4000 drive 4 of the drives, and go out and buy a couple of dual
> proc e220's to drive the other 4 drives.  These e220's would use the SSO
> drives but the e4000 would control the robot for all 8 drives.

That'll work nicely.  From what I've seen the price difference between a
220R and a 420R is pretty minimal, outfitted the same, but a 220R will
handle four high speed drives quote well.  Just make sure it has plenty of
RAM.

-Jason

-----
Jason K. Schechner  -   check out www.cauce.org and help ban spam-mail.
=The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has bounds.=
---There is no TRUTH.  There is no REALITY.  There is no CONSISTENCY.---
   ---There are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS   I'm very probably wrong.---