Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 3.4 NDMP cloning

2002-12-17 09:26:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 3.4 NDMP cloning
From: jkennedy AT qualcomm DOT com (Kennedy, Jeffrey)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 06:26:38 -0800
It is possible but there are caveats.  You can easily duplicate NDMP images on
a media server; using the media servers resources.
You can also use the NDMP client's drives, but there is a severe performance
penalty in doing this; about a 40% penalty give or take a few percentage points.

The best option I've found is just let the media server do all the
duplications, it's cleaner and faster than any other option.

If by cloning you mean inline copy, then the answer is no.  NDMP will only do
one stream at a time under NBU.

As to the original posters question, I believe the answer is no.  You can't
duplicate from one filer to another under 3.4.  I don't think you can do that
even with 4.5, but you can do it from the filer to the media server (which I
bet is why the tape loads in the media server drives).  There is a config entry
that will disallow NDMP tape loads in non-NDMP drives.  I forget which conf
file and the exact syntax, but I know there is at least one person on this list
that has the entry....

~JK