Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media Position Errors on Restores - SunV880/HP20-700/NB3.4_3/SSO

2002-12-13 13:40:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media Position Errors on Restores - SunV880/HP20-700/NB3.4_3/SSO
From: Steven.Zunker AT guidant DOT com (Zunker, Steven (STP))
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:40:30 -0600
All,

I was hoping someone could provide some insight into a big problem we are
having. We recently migrated to an HP20-700 tape library with HP Ultrium LTO
drives in a SAN environment. We are currently seeing media position errors (86)
on restores (or duplications), the backups complete with no errors. If we do
see an error, it will be at the beginning of the restore - with no data being
restored. We see media position errors on ~1 out of 15 images written. We
cannot trace the error down to a single drive, tape, hba, switch, bridge, or
time of day. We also do not SEEM to see this with our W2000 media server that
shares these same tape drives. We did pretty substantial testing
(backups,restores,duplications) and did not see any errors prior to cutover,
but we could not test a full production hit. I have cases open with Veritas,
Sun, and HP, but no resolution yet. So far we have mostly worked with the Sun
tape driver (st.conf) and OS patches. Here is a little on our environment:

Master Server
Sun V880 Solaris 8(108528-15)
st patch 108725-11
st.conf entry   "HP Ultrium",   "HP Ultrium",   "Ultrium";
                        Ultrium         =
1,0x36,0,0x19639,4,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,3;
2 x Emulex LP9002L HBA's Firmware v3.90a7
Netbackup 3.4_3
SSO
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS = 16
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS = 131072

Tape Library
HP 20/700 Firmware v3.01.02
10 x HP Ultrium LTO drive Firmware v258

Bridge
HP Interface Manager Firmware v3010
5 slots (2x drives per slot)

Switch
Brocade 3800
OS v3.0.2f
Has anyone out there seen or resolved this type of error?? Any information
would be helpful.

Thanks,

Steve Zunker
UNIX Administrator