Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Breaking up images for optimization of many small files

2002-12-12 11:31:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Breaking up images for optimization of many small files
From: Jesse.Gardner AT storaenso DOT com (Gardner, Jesse)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:31:48 -0600
Netbackup 4.5 with the latest patches on Win2000 SP3, using an HP Surestore
E LTO Ultrium tape library with 2 drives and 20 slots.

We've got a situation where we're backing up almost 6 million files, about
150GB.  It takes over 24 hours for a full backup.  Right now we need to
restore everything from the production box to a new test server, and it is
just horrendous.  I found several discussions on this mailing list that
suggest breaking up the file list into smaller chunks, so that NetBackup
doesn't have to crunch all 6 million files at one time.

My question is:  To do this, do I create several entries in the file list
portion of one policy, or do I have to create multiple policies?

Jesse Gardner
510 High Street
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54495
(715) 422-1516