Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Killing a Restore Causes Havoc

2002-12-10 08:58:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Killing a Restore Causes Havoc
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:58:56 -0500
John,

My experience has been that killing the restore job from the Activity Monitor
is sufficient and I've never experienced the problems you describe by doing it
this way. You don't say what version of NBU you are using but in 3.4 and 4.5 on
the Restore panel/tab there is a Preview button. Once you select what you want
to restore, click on the Preview button and it will display what tapes are
required to complete the restore.

Hope this info is helpful.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis F. Dwyer
Manager, Systems Software
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

>>> "Glancey, John [NCSUS - NON J&J]" <JGlancey AT CNTUS.JNJ DOT COM>
>>> 12/09/2002 6:28:27 PM >>>
A restore was run to determine which tape(s) we needed to get from offsite
storage to do the actual restore.  Once the job started running and the
tapes were noted, the restore job was killed gracefully (I thought) in
Activity Monitor.  Once my normal incremental backups started this evening,
I am noticing the system is hosed with all devices AVR or DOWN.

A.  What do I need to do to stop a restore gracefully?  Are there processes
that must be killed as well?
B.  Is there a better way to determine what tapes were written during a
backup so I can get them from offsite storage?

SAN-attached Win2000 servers running SSO on NBU 3.41

John