Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] OTM Volume Mount on NetWare 5.x

2002-12-05 12:13:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] OTM Volume Mount on NetWare 5.x
From: GRABBEB AT dominos DOT com (Bob Grabbe)
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 12:13:19 -0500
OTM has been a constant problem ever since starting with nbu. What I
tried recently is disabling otm on the clients and looking at the logs
to see what files were missed. It turned out not to miss any significant
number of files without otm, so I have left it turned off for my netware
servers.
The reason this works might be that most of the workstations in our
company are turned off at night, so very few files are open. With about
500 gig of data on three servers, there were 8 files missed last night
during incremental backups.
In addition, otm is not supported by Veritas on Netware 6, this covers
about half the data on the three servers.
This solution may not be practical foryou, but it might be worth a try.

Robert Grabbe
Dominos Pizza LLC
734-930-3703
grabbeb AT dominos DOT com

>>> "Hampus Lind" <hampus.lind AT rps.police DOT se> 12/5/02 10:48:16 AM >>>
Hi!

I know this is a world wide problem, with most backup software for
NetWare. I just want to share my problems and maybe get some information
about how this work for others.

Now to the problem:
The client OTM setting are okay, and checked but Veritas Support.
The backup is active until the backup windows closes, without writing
any data, then we have to reboot the netware client, because the OTM
Volume Mount and bpcd.nlm is unloadable.
The client seems to hang when it has created the virtual OTM volume. We
have the highest loging level possible, and the logs givs us nothing.
When have updated the NIC driver and SCSI drivers.

It feels like this is a NetWare problem, with problems to create
virtual volumes.

The funny thing is that the backups with OTM enabled can work fine for
quite some time, and then for no reasone at all, it starts to fail, and
when it does that it fails forever....
I`am sure that many Novell gurus recognize this behavior.

Regards Hampus.