Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Operator tape removal & backup scripts

2002-12-02 13:39:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Operator tape removal & backup scripts
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 11:39:20 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C29A32.20B79660

Our operators work almost entirely from scripts I've written.  The use of
the command-line is not unusual in this office and using the command line
lets me force exactly the operation I want to occur without fear that
they've mis-clicked and forgotten to set some option box or something.  By
running my "inject_tapes" script, as opposed to using the media management
gui, my operators use exactly the options, barcode rules, etc. that I want
to happen every time.

My tape rotation script, for vaulting tapes, is triggered as a cron job, it
identifies the tapes to be removed and automatically moves them to the
mailslots.  It sends an email with the tapes to be removed & supplies a list
of tapes to be inserted in their stead.  It then pages the operator that
there's a rotation task to be performed.

I use a similar strategy with the weekly duplication process.

Cold backups of applications are best handled as you mentioned, with start &
stop scripts as used by Netbackup.  This allows you to reschedule your jobs
and the start/stop stuff moves with it.  My Oracle environment is very
complex so my start/stop script is probably not applicable to your
environment but it's pretty much a matter of calling the dbshut & dbstart
scripts in your Oracle's $ORAHOME/bin directory to make it happen.

I also backup to disk, although I have a scheduled job that reaps it to tape
to keep from filling up the disk space (duplication of image to tape, then
forced expiration of disk image).  The thing to remember with disk is that
it isn't compressed, unless you're using the NB client-side compression (and
that costs big CPU and frankly isn't that good a compression algorithm).
Tape is still usually a cost savings over disk so you'll want to be careful
with that.

You'll use more disk that tape, in my experience, as measured by just
GBytes.

HTH - Mark