Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 3.4 Win2K - validate catalog backups

2002-11-22 17:06:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 3.4 Win2K - validate catalog backups
From: LeeAnne.Pedersen AT gov.ab DOT ca (Lee Anne Pedersen)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:06:20 -0700
I currently use a Perl script to backup my catalogs to a different tape every
day to be sent
offsite. At some point in the past, my available_media report started showing
the status of
the NetBackup pool tapes as AVAILABLE instead of DBBACKUP. So I wish to verify
that
the catalog backup to tape is valid.

I use the command `$adm_path\\bpbackupdb -v -tpath $mount_loc` to execute the
backup
after loading a tape using `$vm_path\\tpreq -ev $mediaid -d dlt -p $pool -f
$mount_loc`.

But when I try to read the header information on the tape `bprecover -l -ev
DSR346 -d dlt`
I get the error:

incorrect media found in drive, found C:\Temp\nb_mount, expected DSR346
media manager found wrong tape in drive

bpsyncinfo -L says that the last media use was the defined disk backup
location that executes after each successful scheduled backup, even though I've
done three
backups to tape since. The tapes mount and something gets written to them, as
it takes
about 10 minutes to run. The log states that a catalog backup to
C:\Temp\nb_mount
succeeded.

How do I validate these tapes? I don't have a server to do a test bprecover on.

Thanks,
Lee Anne

Lee Anne Pedersen
LAN/Server Analyst

Alberta Corporate Service Centre (ACSC)
DCS Delivery Team E
Ph: 780-427-2504
LeeAnne.Pedersen AT gov.ab DOT ca

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and or privileged
recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action
relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply,
should be deleted or destroyed.