Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Relative performance of 9840a's and 9940Bs under NT and W2K.

2002-11-21 16:21:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Relative performance of 9840a's and 9940Bs under NT and W2K.
From: joe AT joe DOT net (Johnny Oestergaard)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:21:23 +0100
I don't realy have any good numbers on compression on the 9940 drives, but
on the SVA9500 we have a compression of exchange at 1,5. SQL 2,5. Windows
fileserver 1,7.
I would expect the same on the 9940 drives

Filesize is anything from 1KB to 1GB (or more)

The best we get at the moment on the drives is around 13 MB/s. We have seen
more but not often, but we haven't done that much for performance anyway.
And we use Win2K on the media servers and we don't dare to try using
anything bigger then 64KB blocks.

Network buffers on clients are 1024KB. I don't remember what's on the media
servers, but it's a lot more (1-2GB machines so who cares about allocationg
too much to buffers)

HBA's are Qlogic 2200/66F over StorageNet 4116 switches (Brocade Silkworm)

Moving from 9840 to depends mostly on what kind of needs you have.
Using 9940B's will give you a lot more data in your library then using
9840B, but remember if you are used to the mount times and seek times on
9940B you will think of 9940B as slooow.

In a HSM system with a lot of tapemounts 9940B could slow down your system,
but if what you have is a "normal" backup/recovery senario you could end up
with a faster total system performance with 9940B.
9940B is faster then 9840B, except for mount/dismount and seek, and you
need less mounts to backup eg 1 TB data to 9940B then to 9840B.

We use 9940A and will upgrade to 9940B as soon as StorageTek starts
shipping them again.

I made an evaluation of 9840 when we went for 9940, and in our installation
9940 was a much better drive.

/johnny