Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Relative performance of 9840a's and 9940Bs under NT and W2K.

2002-11-21 12:53:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Relative performance of 9840a's and 9940Bs under NT and W2K.
From: spe08 AT co.henrico.va DOT us (spe08 AT co.henrico.va DOT us)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:53:11 -0500
We use an stk700 silo with 3 adaptec 394x dual controllers attached to 10
9840A's ( one drive reserved for restores)on w2k master/media server which
is FC to the network. Some of our systems are also FC and use 2gb channel to
an emc box. Other servers are straight 100baseT (cisco). Some of the servers
have processors as low as 200m, others as high as 2.3g. We backup
unix,linux,hpux,aix,nt4 and w2k. We also backup an exchange server. We back
up 1.2 tbytes a night (and in general never use any type of culmative job).
I have lots of classes with start times spread out. Compression runs right
at 2.0 as an average for everything. Files size 1k to very large. Since we
back up MS stuff we just set all buffers to 64KB. On the other hand we set
the master up for 128 receive buffers. We complete all 1.2 tbytes in a 10
hour window, but without utilizing the full potential of what we have. We
intend to wait for the 9840C (uses same 9840 cartridge but doubles capacity
while also doubling tape speed) drives before upgrading. On those we will go
FC. We were actually doing all of the above on 6 drives but it kept all of
them busy.

David Spearman
County of Henrico