Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Buffer settings

2002-11-21 11:30:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Buffer settings
From: Bruno.Bossier AT comparex DOT be (Bruno.Bossier AT comparex DOT be)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:30:10 +0100
I'm not too worried for the moment about the performance of the Exchange
backup. I more worried about the fact that a simple file backup
(ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES) does not work. It always abort with error code 41
(network timeout), sometimes right from the start (it does mount the tape,
but then fails) or sometimes also when the backup managed to start and in
the middle suddenly abort.

                      Jon Walton

                      <jonw AT n2h2 DOT com>          To:       Bruno.Bossier
AT comparex DOT be
                                               cc:       veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                      11/21/2002 17:11         Subject:  Re: [Veritas-bu]
Buffer settings

Bruno,

You are not going to get any better performance on that Exchange mailbox
backup.   The reason is that each mailbox is backed up via MAPI.   The
only thing that might help is getting a faster Exchange server, as the
bottleneck is on the Exchange server.

The mailbox backup works great for smaller installations, but once you get
into the larger information stores, it becomes hard to justify.   The
archives contain some messages about alternatives to the individual
mailbox backup.

Regards,

Jon

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 Bruno.Bossier AT comparex DOT be wrote:

> Environment : Netbackup Datacenter 4.5 MP1, master on W2K and media
servers
> on W2K and NT, 4 SSO drives
>
> We are experiencing some performance problems. Most of the backups run,
but
> we don't get the speed we expect. There is one specific server (W2K)
which
> has an Exchange agent configured for individual mailbox backups (about
2700
> mailboxes). That backup takes a very long time, but it works (about 11
> hours for almost 60Gb). There is also a normal file backup scheduled and
> that one never works. The backup starts and after a while aborts with
code
> 41 (network timeout). Sometimes the backup not even starts.
>
> I found some documents on the Veritas support site which talks about
> several buffer settings. However, these documents are for Netbackup 3.4.
>
> Are there some recommendations for these buffer settings ? I'm especially
> looking at tape buffer settings (SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS and
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS)