Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media server requirements

2002-11-20 14:48:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media server requirements
From: maddenca AT myrealbox DOT com (Chris Madden)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 20:48:36 +0100
I'd second Brian's remarks in that you need to concentrate on I/O.  Within
the I/O realm you need to analyze:
1) Network (a few GigE I assume, but will you trunk them?  Run them
independantly?)
2) Backplane / Slot performance limitations (Do you have enough slots for
the Gig E and SCSI controllers and does the backplane support the I/O they
will be passing?)
3) SCSI controllers / Drive layout (how many drives streaming will max out a
controller, and can the number of controllers required fit in your system)

I believe some GigE cards support more processing on-board vs. having the
system CPUs do the work which might be interesting for you...

-Chris