Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DLT4 import via SDLT drive??

2002-11-14 12:26:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DLT4 import via SDLT drive??
From: Reece Webb <crakowski AT circi DOT com> (Reece Webb)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:26:57 -0500
Greetings,

We're having a bit of a problem importing tapes into our new backup
environment. We're using NB 4.5 on Solaris 2.8 with an Overland LXN2000
changer with two SDLT drives. In netbackup the drives are defined as being
dlt3, as well as all of our sdlt media.

Our old backup server was running NB 3.4 with a dlt7000 drive, using dlt4
tapes. We now need to import some of these tapes into our new catalog. I've
been following a few different threads, and know that NB won't load a dlt
tape into a dlt3 drive.

So what are our options? If the media is labeled as dlt3, should it work in
the drive? (it hasn't thus far) I was thinking that the drive may be
confused, expecting sdlt media when the tape is labeled as dlt3. But I've
read that these are purely organizational labels, so maybe this shouldn't
matter?

Thanks for any help,

Reece