Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape MM volume DB / NB media DB mismatch

2002-11-15 12:43:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape MM volume DB / NB media DB mismatch
From: jpyne AT worldatwork DOT org (Jeffrey Pyne)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:43:27 -0700
I just had this same problem and did some research.

>From http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/208420.htm:

"Sometimes the image database and the media manager database can be out of
sync, and the tape may show as still assigned, or if the tape has a
NetBackup database backup on it, there would be no image entry to begin
with.  When a tape shows an assigned date, but no images are related to that
tape, it will show up in the available_media report as dbbackup.  To tell if
a tape actually has a dbbackup on it, the command:
     vmquery -m mediaid
will show a status, where 0x0 means normal backups, 0x1 means NetBackup
database backup and 0x2 means Storage Migrator.
If it is 0x1, be certain this is not a database backup which will ever be
needed.
If it is 0x2, it is in use by Storage Migrator and understanding of the use
of the tape by Storage Migrator (not covered here) is required.

To free up the tape, when it has an assigned date but no images in the
database, the command:
must be run, but the status will be displayed as 0x0, 0x1 or 0x2 and needs
to be just 0, 1 or 2 in the vmquery -deassignbyid."

I recently rewrote the available_media script because I had a bunch of tapes
like you have and they were being reported as DBBACKUP.  My version of the
script reports these as EMPTY, and prints the command that you would use to
return them to AVAILABLE.  (It also runs about 250 to 300 times faster than
Veritas' version.)  Let me know if you would like to try out my version of
available_media and I'll email it to you.

Hope that helps.

Jeffrey Pyne
UNIX Systems Administrator
WorldatWork