Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] packaging of NBU clients?

2002-11-14 21:51:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] packaging of NBU clients?
From: Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com (Len Boyle)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:51:44 -0500
Hello Wayne

I will give you a little info, and maybe someone else can give both of us a
better answer.

I assume that you are using an Unix master, since I know very little about
windows masters.

Netbackup treats unix and windows clients in a very different way.

TSM uses replacement install packages that can be used for a new install or
upgrading an existing server or client instance to a new maint level.

Netbackup has base releases and then patch updates which may or may not be
cumlative. You have to read the readme files to find out. The front of the
readme lists patches that are included and which patches have to be installed
as prereqs. Also how to unpack the patch files. The middle lists brief
abstracts of the fixes, and the rear includes the instructions on how to
install the patch.

For unix you can install the client or push updates from the master. And this
can be done in groups. This seems to work pretty well most of the time. You
have to be careful if a master is a client of another master, and be careful of
updates to the bp.conf file.

For Windows you can not push windows client installs or upgrades.
The windows installer does allow you select remote machine to install to. But
it lists all the machines in the domain, painfull in a large site.
The updates are patch files that have to be applied to the base install.

One of our local windows server folks created an install package that includes
several patches that the server team uses to install the client for the 3.4
level . Of course the netbackup techsupport frown on this.

Another one of our server folks is looking to see if we can use this package to
upgrade our remaining 3.2 clients on most of our nt4 machines to 3.4, Preparing
to upgrade our master server to 4.5. We have to do
this as Netbackup only supports one client level back. And zero client levels
forward,  I gather from this list and from netbackup's tech support that this
is much more then just policy.

The PC server folks believe that they can schedule the running of this package
on the remote nt machines with a tool they they use to run other packages on
the remote nt machines.

len