Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Generally Accepted ROT for Server Backups

2002-11-06 16:11:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Generally Accepted ROT for Server Backups
From: GRABBEB AT dominos DOT com (Bob Grabbe)
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 16:11:24 -0500
I told my management that the only way it was physically possible to get
this kind of reporting was with Advanced Reporter. They asked how much
it cost. When I told them, priorities were reset and I haven't had any
more requests for reports.
Seriously, though, there are some scripts I've seen that will, with
perl, extract all the messages that aren't status 0 and print out the
list. Sorting it the way you specify would be a lot of work though, and
I personally wouldn't think it was worth it. I'd instead print multiple
copies and give a copy to everyone who wanted it. Wouldn't make them
happy, but it would have all the information they wanted.

Robert Grabbe
Dominos Pizza LLC
734-930-3703
grabbeb AT dominos DOT com

>>> "Dennis Dwyer" <dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com> 11/6/02 3:39:47 PM >>>
OK folks, please bear with me on this. For those who decide to read
through it I would appreciate any insights you may have.

Being a former mainframe guy I had a hard time coming to terms with the
fact that backups for servers won't always be 100% successful everyday.
I've also accepted that without OTM, or something like it, in place it's
entirely likely that even if a server backup is successful, I might not
have gotten a complete 100% backup because some files may be in use. We
are currently implementing NBU OTM on our servers but it is a time
consuming process that is taking place with 5-10 servers per night on a
catch-as-catch-can basis. With close to 300 servers in inventory, it
could take a few more weeks.

Having said all that, how do you appease a manager or director that is
adamant that all files that aren't backed up should be reviewed
frequently (daily if possible) and a determination made as to whether
it's a problem or not? I have someone who would like to see a daily
report of the servers that had files that didn't get backed up,
organized by application group and support person so each person can
review their servers to make sure the impact is minimal. First off, NBU
doesn't have such a robust reporting feature so the server backup team
is manually producing this report (and we're not scripting gurus by any
stretch of the imagination).

I was just wondering how others of my species (server backup mavens)
are coping with this. When does it become futile to perform this type of
research, if ever, and at what point do you say "you know, it's a
generally accepted practice in the server backup community to .... "

Maybe this isn't the right forum for this and I'd be happy to take it
offline with anyone that has an opinion. Or maybe there are others out
there who also want to know. In this age of doing more with less (we
just lost six people) some things will have to wait or fall off the edge
of the earth because we just don't have the time to deal with it because
our hair is on fire with a different problem right now.

What say you all?

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis F. Dwyer
Manager, Systems Software
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make
it right