Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Slowing Backups (NBU DC 4.5/SSO-LTO/HPUX 11.11/L700)

2002-11-06 10:07:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Slowing Backups (NBU DC 4.5/SSO-LTO/HPUX 11.11/L700)
From: ebuckner AT dollargeneral DOT com (Eric Buckner)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:07:38 -0600
When running backups in our SAN our backups start off running @27MB/Sec.
But as time goes by this eventually will drop all the way down to about
11MB/Sec.  However, when I am running I restore it is able to maintain the
@27MB/Sec.

We have tried several different tunings of buffer sizes and multiplexes to
no avail.

Currently I am running:
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS = 64
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS = 256k
MPX=6

I have set fragmentation size between 0 and 2048 w/o any change in
performance.

Based on entries in bptm log I appear to be underrunning the drives:
     write_backup: waited for full buffer 15893 times, delayed 34674 times

But when I am performing restores I don't see these large numbers:
    mpx_read_data: waited for empty buffer 2 times, delayed 30 times

This particular SAN Media Server is our 'new' development server and is an
HP L3000 - 4CPU/550mHz w/ 4GB RAM.  It isn't getting a lot of action yet so
I would think that the server would be beefy enough to push the drives.

Thanks in advance!
Eric

--
Eric Buckner