Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Automated backups not running reliably

2002-11-05 13:59:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Automated backups not running reliably
From: Jason.Ahrens AT telus DOT com (Jason Ahrens)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:59:21 -0700

It could be your class setup. A common mistake to make at first is to set up
a "daily" backup with a window of several hours (lets say 6) and then have
frequency set to 1 day.

This mistake here is that Frequency is a measure of the minimum time between
backups to allow. Overlay this on a window period of six hours and backups
slowly get pushed further and further back in the window until they are
pushed out one day. That day, backups don't run, but don't fail as they
weren't supposed to run. It provides a scenario where backups don't run only
sometimes, and there are no errors to trace.

When setting up frequency, it's important to always take window times into
account. For example, I have dailies set to start at 8pm with an 10 hour
window. I have frequency set to "11 hours". This ensures that backups will
run every day (unless someone forces a manual backup within the an 11 hour
time frame before the backup window closes).

Something to think about.

Jason

--
Jason Ahrens, Hosting Analyst