Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up a large amount of small files

2002-10-30 11:36:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up a large amount of small files
From: Bruno.Bossier AT comparex DOT be (Bruno.Bossier AT comparex DOT be)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:36:46 +0100
We have a server with a directory which contains over 3 million files for a
total amount of nearly 150 Gb. We are trying to back this up in a
reasonable amount of time (12 to 14 hours maximum). OTM is enabled. We have
not succeeded so far. A lot of time is lost at the beginning of the backup
when the backup is going through the directory structure to check all
files. This takes several hours. The first we already did until now is to
set the maximum cache size to 0 (unlimited). This stopped the errors we saw
in the Windows eventlog when OTM is started and then aborted after 40
minutes, then restarted again ....

Can someone give some suggestions to speed up this backup ?

Thanks,
Bruno