Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Hung AVRD

2002-10-25 02:58:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Hung AVRD
From: MarelP AT AUSTRALIA.Stortek DOT com (Marelas, Peter)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:58:51 +1000
As richard pointed out this is typically due to a "hung" tape drive.
AVRD blocks on I/O in the kernel (sg) and I dont believe it ever times out.
The FC HBA typically masks FC connectivity failures which is probably
not a good thing because programs like AVRD dont cope.

To get AVRD back you typically need to power reset or IPL the tape drives
to find the culprit. I have found AVRD will not return until the tape
drive it is blocked on comes to life again.

Regards
Peter Marelas