Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to make (3.4.x) catalog backup faster? Is 4.5 faster?

2002-10-23 14:01:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to make (3.4.x) catalog backup faster? Is 4.5 faster?
From: jstephens AT ti DOT com (John D Stephens)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:01:45 -0500
Here is a suggestion that Veritas suggested to us when our
catalog db backup spanned more than 1 tape. (and failed)
AND, as with all suggestions, take it with a grain of salt. :)

In the NetBackup DB Backup Attributes, change your file
list to look like this: (bluefalcon is our NBU host)

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/bluefalcon
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/class
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/client
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/error
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/media
/usr/openv/var
/usr/openv/volmgr

Then set the "When to Backup" to "NEVER" and use cron
to initiate the db backup:

#bpbackupdb is used to back the Netbackup DB database
31 7 * * * /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpbackupdb -seq 1 >/dev/null
2>/tmp/db_bkup.stderr

Then, setup a class/policy to backup your DB catalogs in
regular scheduled backups.  I suggest weekly with cumulative
incrementals.

How this works for a disaster recovery is a two step process.
First you would bprecover your db catalogs from your NetBackup
DB tapes.  This lets the NBU server know about its own backups
of the catalogs.  Then you can do a full bprestore of the
/usr/openv/netbackup/db directory and other important files
that you included in the files section of the schedule.

When we did this, our DB Backup took about 15 minutes.
However, the backup took hours.  Plan your schedules
during very quiet times.

Caution: Putting your catalogs in a normal backup schedule
might not get you your most recent backups.  If you can
risk 1 day of images this will work.  If you can't, then
you'll need to get a really fast tape drive.

regards,

john