Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NT_NB4.5 barcode problem - URGENT

2002-10-23 14:24:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NT_NB4.5 barcode problem - URGENT
From: Gary Losito" <gary AT losito DOT ws (Gary Losito)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:24:59 EST
(Sorry - this is a repost, since I did not originally submit the correct
subject line)

Rolf,

The problem lies in the firmware on the PV136T. I had the exact problem.
You must contact dell and update the firmware on all the drives, and
especially the *fibre channel bridge*. I believe if you're running firmware
4.10 or lower, you need to update it (I can't remember the exact version,
but grab the latest on the bridge). You can only view what it is by
downloading the bridge software from dell and loading the server module
first and then the client module. I would highly recommend opening a ticket
with Dell and having them walk you through how to update the firmware. We
were having multiple issues with ours and it was all in the firmware on
every device in the system. Apparently, according to Veritas, the PV136T
needs the firmware to communicate correctly with version 4.5.

Hope this helps,
Gary

Hello all again,

Please look at the following problem

I have a Dell PV136T robot with 4 Quantum SDLT drives. I install =
Netbackup Datacenter 4.5. I've entered the license keys (tried several, =
also with unrestricted features so this should not be the problem)

Everything seems OK. But then the problems occur...

When i inventory the robot using the VMUPDATE command i get the =
following result:

Generating list of recommended changes ...

Proposed Change(s) to Update the Volume Configuration
=3D=3D=3D
Logically add new media ?????? (barcode ) to robot slot 2.
Logically add new media ?????? (barcode ) to robot slot 3.
Logically add new media ?????? (barcode ) to robot slot 20.
Updating volume configuration ...

Processing new media added to the robotic library by logically
adding media with new media IDs as follows...
Media ID Slot
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D
=20
and the following error message:

Update failed: media in slot 2 has missing or unreadable barcode
Use a seed for automatic creation of new media identifiers without =
barcodes.

This should mean that there is a problem with the barcodes i am using. =
But when i use Robtest to test the robot, and do an inventory over here, =
i get the following:

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\tldtest.exe -r \\.\Changer0 -d1 =
Tape0 -d2 Ta
pe2 -d3 Tape1 -d4 Tape3

Opening \\.\Changer0
Enter tld commands (? returns help information)
s s
slot 1 (addr 4096) contains Cartridge =3D no
slot 2 (addr 4097) contains Cartridge =3D yes
Source address =3D 4097
Barcode =3D 000002S
slot 3 (addr 4098) contains Cartridge =3D yes
Source address =3D 19
Barcode =3D 000003S
slot 4 (addr 4099) contains Cartridge =3D no

And here are my barcodes. I already tried all day to find a solution, =
but didn't found any yet... the time pressure to finish this =
installation is getting bigger and bigger...

Please help!!

Regards

Rolf