Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Interesting Info re; bpmedialist

2002-10-22 12:28:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Interesting Info re; bpmedialist
From: david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:28:12 -0400
Anyone who's been on this list a while, knows that I'm big on understanding the
interaction of the daemons/services in a functional relationship.

Something very interesting just happened at one of my client sites and I
thought it would be good to share with the list.

Here's the situation.

My client wanted to move a master/media server from one machine to another.
Except they did it after the fact (and only partially I found out much later),
so the original machine was gone and I had to do some quick work to get the
mediaDB ownership transferred over to the new machine.  Once that was done, I
was satified with the bpmedialist -h <hostname> results.

As a last step I made one more attempt at running bpmedialist to make sure all
is well.  I just ran

bpmedialist

without the -h option, but this time it failed.

socket read failed

It didn't log anything in the bprd debug log or the bpcd debug log, but did put
these couple of lines in the bpdbm debug log.

11:10:53 [10090] <4> connected_peer: Connection from host server.mydomain.com,
10.1.10.43, on non-reserved port 33654
11:10:53 [10090] <4> process_request: VSMInit() failed for stunit change: 2d
11:10:53 [10090] <2> stunit_db: Q_STUNITGET
11:10:54 [10090] <4> bpdbm: request complete: exit status 0

At first I thought it was an /etc/services or inetd.conf issue, but it wasn't.
As I am thinking through how the daemons work, who they talk to and what it
being done when I issue the command, bpmedialist, I can't imagine that there is
too much more being done other than querying the mediaDB file.

However, after about 10 minutes I focused on the stunit line in the debug log
and decided to do a bpstulist and see what's going on there.

Turns out that the storage units were still assigned to the previous server, so
I changed the ownership to the current machine.  Then when I ran the
bpmedialist command, it work as advertised.

It was a very interesting discovery.

Here's the question for any Veritas engineers that are listening.

What's the difference, functionally, between

bpmedialist -h <hostname>

and

bpmedialist

In a single server environment?

Besides querying all media servers in the environment?

Why does it seem that it quereies the storage_units db?

Is that how it gets the media servers that are configured?  That's how I get it
in my scripts...hmm maybe this is making sense now...

If I submit the bpmedialist CLI, designating a host with -h, it explictly
queries that host, but if it doesn't then it needs to find the hosts (media
servers) that are configured in the environment.  Since the new server was not
configured as a media server on any of the storage units, it couldn't report on
it, therefore it tried to report on the existing one, which didn't have NBU
installed on it.  Which would naturally cause a socket read failure message to
pop up on my screen.

I think I just answered my own question.
'Thanks David'..."You're Welcome David"

Where's my medication...
:-)

David