Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Why is the Java GUI in 4.5 so slow??

2002-10-17 11:23:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Why is the Java GUI in 4.5 so slow??
From: James.McPherson AT Sun DOT COM (James C. McPherson)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:23:59 -0700
On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:12:20 +0200 "Hampus Lind" <hampus.lind AT rps.police DOT
se> wrote:
> What makes the JAVA gui in netbackup 4.5 so slow? (besides java...)
> The server is a K460 with hpux 11.00, 2 cpu (180Mhz), 512 MB memory, 1 GB
> swap.
> I have patched the server with all recommened patches.
> To the client where i run X, the is 100 FD connection.
> The client is a P4, 1,7Ghz with 256 MB memory.

You have two options. Please note that option (2) is not, as far as I am aware,
supported by Veritas, so if you use it and have problems, remember to try to
reproduce those problems without option (2) enabled.

With that disclaimer, here you go:

1. increase the maximum memory allocation allowed by using the -mx option,
or
2. use the jvm hotspot server optimizations,
or
3. both 1 and 2.

The instructions for (1) are contained in the jnbSA script.

The instructions for (2) are as follows:

in the jnbSA script, look for the line which starts

$JAVA_PATH -Djava.library.path=${VRTS_LIBRARY_PATH}

then between "$JAVA_PATH" and "-Djava.library.path" insert the word

-server

so the line instead starts like this:

$JAVA_PATH -server -Djava.library.path=${VRTS_LIBRARY_PATH}

hope one or more of these helps you.

Best regards,
James C. McPherson
--
Pacrim PTS Engineer            828 Pacific Highway
                               Gordon NSW