Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Specifying a particular interface for NB to use (NB4.5DC/Sol8)

2002-10-16 22:13:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Specifying a particular interface for NB to use (NB4.5DC/Sol8)
From: sarcher AT connect.com DOT au (Suzi Archer)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:13:30 +1000
Ok, The subject makes it sound easy, but there's a bit more complexity..

Due to some poor planning in the distant past, we have some subnetting issues
between our Master NB server, and one machine that backs up a hellava lot of
data.
Due to the way the subnets were done, backups between the two are traversing a
cisco
border router (that's in a bit of a sorry state anyway), rather then simply
switching,
and this is causing a bunch of other machines to get completely crap networking
until the
backup finishes. Therefore, I want to get around the router problem, by getting
the
master and client into the same subnet, with additional interfaces.

Normally I would just add a new IP on the client and REQUIRED_INTERFACE it up,
but this client
already has around 3500 odd interfaces on it, and it's *very* touchy about
adding and removing
interfaces (and no-one is game to do it ;) )

So, I thought I would just add a new interface on the NB server in the correct
subnet..

In essense my question is, can I make my NB Server use InterfaceA for HostA, and
InterfaceB for Host[B-X] (everthing else)

If I have to, I will just change all the clients to use the new interface on
the master,
but it will be painful due to firewall rules needing to be changed on all the
clients.

Any ideas/comments ?

--
Suzi Archer               @connect.com.au          /"\
Systems Group             Lvl 9, 114 Albert Rd     \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign