Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] corrupt backup image catalog

2002-10-16 13:19:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] corrupt backup image catalog
From: cfeskens AT willamette DOT edu (Casey Feskens)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:19:47 -0700 (PDT)
Recently, in my daily verify reports, I keep seeing verify errors for
one particular client:

Verify started Tue Oct 15 2002 08:00:00
INF - Verifying policy my_backup_policy, schedule Full
(myhost_1034647562),
media id 000041, created 10/14/2002 19:06:02.
INF - Filename length does not match for file
/export/pc/net/setup/info/alley-2/, in image is 34, in database is 46.
INF - Filename from image (/export/pc/net/setup/info/alley-2/) does not
match filename in database
(/export/pc/net/setup/info/alley-2/autoexec.bat).
INF - File number does not match for file
/export/pc/net/setup/info/alley-2/,
in image is 26537, in database is 26538.
INF - Block number does not match for file
/export/pc/net/setup/info/alley-2/,
in image is 10184773, in database is 10184774.
...etc...
INF - At least 10 database compare errors occurred, not logging anymore.
INF - Verify of policy backbone_systems, schedule Full (saturn_1034647562)
failed, client process aborted.

During this process, the tar process ends up in a loop and never
completes, and I have to kill it off.

This only seems to happen with one particular host and it only seems to
have started happening since upgraded to NBU 4.5, but that may be
irrelevant.

My verifies are just done of last night's backups, so it seems odd to me
that the database would not match the tape, that it would just happen for
a single host and that verifies for other hosts on the same tape work
great.

bpdbm -consistency didn't seem to turn anything up as far as bad images.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Is my backup catalog corrupt
for this host?  If so, what can I do to recover?

In case you're wondering, server and client are both Solaris, NBU 4.5
patch 1.

Thanks for your help!

Casey Feskens <cfeskens AT willamette DOT edu>
System Administrator/Network Svcs. Consultant
Willamette University, Salem, OR