Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] adding a new master server

2002-10-16 10:59:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] adding a new master server
From: david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:59:56 -0400
You can do that, but I would spend some time thinking over the reasons why and
the implications of having two masters within your environment.

Most people install additional masters because of geography, availabiltiy, or
DR purposes.

I would probably lean towards installing NBU on the NT machine and make it a
media server to my existing master.  This will reduce the complexity of your
environment when it comes to management.  You will also be able to run most of
your existing Unix scripts (assuming you have Unix) to report on the NT Media
server as well without having to install a shell emulator or rewriting your
scripts to batch or perl (which wouldn't be a negative just additional work).

If you decide that another Master is the way you want to go, then I would
strongly recommend that you ensure that there are never any duplicate media ids
between the separate domains.  This will not affect the operation of the two
independent Master server, but if at some point in the future you decide that
you indeed want to demote the NT machine to a media server, one of the steps in
that process is to make sure all the media ids between the servers
are "unique".  Pre-planning can save you a ton of time down the road.  I know
it doesn't sound like it would be something that would happen, but believe me
it has happened.

Hope this helps,
David