Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Setting Expiration Dates on Physical Media Volumes

2002-10-09 12:08:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Setting Expiration Dates on Physical Media Volumes
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 12:08:40 -0400
I agree. Seems to me that it should be (or should've already been) incorporated
into the basic NBU Volume Manager portion. Hopefully Veritas is reading this
thread and saying "Wow, what a great idea. Let's do that in Version 5".

Dennis

Dennis F. Dwyer
Manager, Systems Software
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

>>> "David A. Chapa" <david AT datastaff DOT com> 10/09/2002 11:01:37 AM >>>
Dennis, my friend!

> Let me guess: Run a vmquery, sort by date and write a script to report
> findings?

BINGO!  You're speaking my language now!

Alright, truth be told...I love scripts, but even I am getting a bit winded, I
think this should be a report that is easily created, NOT by any script BUT
built-in to the software.

This is one of the quirkiest (not that there's only one... ;-) things about
NetBackup...we've always been able to set this "physical expiration" of the
media, but we could never really tell anyone when it met that expiration, like
oh, I don't know the ADMIN maybe?  That would be a good start.  So we have to
develop scripts...scripts are good but this really needs to be GUI-ized and
available in a pretty report form or at the very least generate an email with a
collection of tapes that have "met their usefulness" per the Media Manager
expiration.

Whew...anyone for some cheese?

David Chapa