Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 (patch1) - W2K Advnace Server

2002-10-09 10:52:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 (patch1) - W2K Advnace Server
From: david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:52:13 -0400
I have a client that had to break up their MCS because the backup speeds were
terrible (NBU 3.4x).  Now that we have done that, backup speeds are where we
expected them to be and we are now working on implementing VCS.

David

Quoting jakub.bielecki AT comtegra DOT pl:

> Same issue here!
> 2 clients on MCS nodes, throughput is 3 MB/s or worse (but not Mb/s as you
> wrote!)
> Nodes are in failover configuration - so one of them is normally idle.
> At the same time I can download from cluster at 10MB/s speed - for example
> through SMB.
>
> Maybe MCS has problems with quick opening of files (some blocking delay)?
> But I'll
> have to verify this somehow...
>
> Anyone there successful with Microsoft Cluster Server backups?
>
> Jakub Bielecki
>
> --
> Jakub.Bielecki AT comtegra DOT pl
> Comtegra Sp. z o.o.    http://www.comtegra.pl
> tel: (+4822) 6855 080, fax: (+4822) 6851 955
> mobile: (+48) 691 679351
> ul. Karola Miarki 11 D, 01-496 Warsaw, Poland
>

> "Andy Skates" <andyskates AT iname DOT com>
> Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> 2002-10-03 20:35
>

>         To:     veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
>         cc:
>         Subject:        [Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 (patch1) - W2K Advnace Server
>

> Running NBU 4.5 (patch 1) as SAN Media Server on W2K Advanced Server.
>
> (Master Server Solaris 8).
>
> SAN attached disk.
>
> Backing up to STK 9940A via 1Gb Emulex card (Brocade 3800 switch).
>
> Backing up file server type data (lots of files of differing sizes).
>
> I have 2 problems.
>

> FIRSTLY
>
> This server is part of a Microsoft Cluster.
> When Cluster Services are running I get extremely bad throughput.
> (2Mb/sec), even when backing up the C drive.
>
> (On the same spec server without Clustering - I get 12Mb/sec)
>

> SECONDLY
>
> I switched clustering off.
> Backups start off at 12Mb/sec, but soon tail off to 5.5Mb/sec
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing either of these problems.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andy Skates
>
> andyskates AT iname DOT com
> --
> http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
>
> Get 4 DVDs for $.49 cents! plus shipping & processing. Click to join.
> http://oas-
central.realmedia.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/mail.com/columbiahouse/11127450
96/x09/ExactAdv/ColumbiaHouse_IO473_7.19_8.19/blank.gif/636632633232383133383736
634333430