Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] HP Master w/NBU 4.5 - Which file system is recommended?

2002-10-08 08:29:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] HP Master w/NBU 4.5 - Which file system is recommended?
From: jaearick AT colby DOT edu (Jeff A. Earickson)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 08:29:53 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,
   Except for the /stand filesystem (where the files needed for booting
live), the default in HPUX 11.x is to have VxFS as the filesystem for
everything else.  I highly recommend using this.  If you have a power
failure and you have a lot of disks/filesystems, HFS will take forever
to come back up because fsck on HFS takes a long time.  With VxFS, it
is almost instantaneous.  I have never had any problems with VxFS on
HP systems, and loved it.

   That said, I would not recommend using it on Sun systems (my
master/media server is a Sun).  I started life with Suns using VxFS,
and I made the sad mistake of encapsulating my root/boot disk with VxFS.
This totally screwed up my ability to get a crash dump off of swap if
a system paniced.  I couldn't do it.  For the size of systems that I
have, Sun's DiskSuite product does a fine job of striping, mirroring,
and transaction logging.  The caveat here is that if a fsck needs to
done at boot time, it will take a while with DiskSuite because the
underlying filesystem is still UFS.  I would only consider Veritas VxFS
on a Sun box that has a very large external disk farm.

  If any of you readers are Veritas employees, urge your company to work
more closely with Sun to encorporate VFS and Volume Manager into Sun's
OS, like HP did.  The default VxFS filesystems in HPUX are the one thing
I love about that OS, compared to Solaris.  I would like to see the
same thing in Solaris.

** Jeff A. Earickson, Ph.D                         PHONE: 207-872-3659
** Senior UNIX Sysadmin, Information Technology    EMAIL: jaearick AT colby DOT
edu
** Colby College, 4214 Mayflower Hill,               FAX: 207-872-3076
** Waterville ME, 04901-8842