Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Permission on files/directories

2002-10-04 23:27:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Permission on files/directories
From: bryan_bahnmiller AT agilent DOT com (bryan_bahnmiller AT agilent DOT com)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:27:02 -0600
Kumar,

  We have seen this with 3.4_1 on HP/UX 11.0. This can occur with an alternate
restore or a system recovery. This is not the correct behaviour if you are
doing a root directed restore. We opened a ticket with Veritas on this and they
supplied us with a patched bpbkar for the client. You need to use it for the
backup AND the recovery. Unfortunately.

  The bad bpbkar shows up as:
$ ls -l bpbkar.old
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root       sys         876544 Mar 18  2002 bpbkar.old
$ cksum /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbkar.old
367042923 876544 bpbkar.old

  The good one shows:
$ ls -al bpbkar
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root       sys         892928 Sep 20 14:32 bpbkar
$ cksum bpbkar
4161096329 892928 bpbkar

  The workaround is to put in a good /etc/passwd and /etc/group first. Or
restore those 2 files first. Then do the rest of the restore.

  The fix is to get the patched binary for bpbkar.

      Bryan

Bryan Bahnmiller
Agilent Technologies, Inc.
1900 Garden of the Gods Road, M/S C103G