Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VERITAS Database Edition for Oracle on Solaris

2002-10-04 14:07:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VERITAS Database Edition for Oracle on Solaris
From: rene_casalme AT baxter DOT com (rene_casalme AT baxter DOT com)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:07:33 -0700
--=_alternative 0063D2D888256C48_=

I use both the "hot" backup of Oracle using scripts and RMAN.

(1) Using the Veritas Database Edition we use RMAN to work its magic to
perform online/hot backup.  It did take some time to setup but it was
certainly less time than setting up the hot backup using scripts (and
without Database Edition/Agent).  I've done two successful restores using
RMAN and both went very well.  I'm using a recovery catalog and it does
add more responsibility.  However, I use a script to perform a cold backup
of the recovery catalog during the day when there's no RMAN backups going
on.  Another DBA I know do not use a catalog with RMAN but I'm not
familiar anymore with the recovery process in that scenario.

(2) I haven't used the snapshot or storage checkpoint feature but I
haven't a experience and comfort feeling doing this including myself.  My
recollection is that you still have to shutdown the database for a brief
moment while it creates the snapshot.  In my opinion, I'm going with RMAN
for now since it is what Oracle is pushing.

(3) I also have a couple of databases that uses scripts to perform hot
backup.  It dumps the datafiles, archivelogs, controlfile to a separate
filesystem.  These scripts are invoked by NetBackup's
bpstart_notify/bpend_notify scripts (the bpend_notify erases the archive
logs from the source directories).  I created a separate class/policy for
the hot backups with several clients backing up only that filesystem which
I named the same for all clients.  I've had success restoring from this
scenario which is quite a bit more involved than RMAN but it does the job.
 This filesystem and the Oracle oradata directories are excluded from the
another policy that performs ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES backup.

There are probably better ways but I had to make do with what I got stuck
with.

With regards to Tony Johnson's question:
(1) If you run the "recover database until time" command the it will
rollback the whole database back to that time.  It's an incomplete
recovery and may not be acceptable.  What I've seen done is the creation
of another database (recovered until time) where the data still exist.
Then the DBA exports the table and imports it back to the production
database.

Rene

"Johnson, Tony -Research" <gjohnson AT ADMWORLD DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
10/04/2002 06:43 AM

        To:     "'Mark Parsisson'" <Mark.Parsisson AT ncfe DOT com>, "'Peter
DrakeUnderkoffler'"
<pcd AT xinupro DOT com>, "Rien, Julie L. [C]" <RienJL AT nima DOT mil>
        cc:     "'veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu'" <veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
        Subject:        RE: [Veritas-bu] VERITAS Database Edition for Oracle on
Solaris

Speaking of Oracle Restores, I had one detail that I'd like to ask.  From
my
understanding to restore an oracle database from BEFORE the time the
disaster (accidental table drop) happened , I believe you have to use the
RMAN "until time" option so archive logs dont write the disaster back to
the
restore.

I was wondering if that works by specifying that in the rcv file Veritas
supplies.