Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VERITAS Database Edition for Oracle on Solaris

2002-10-04 09:13:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VERITAS Database Edition for Oracle on Solaris
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com (ckstehman AT pepco DOT com)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:13:02 -0400
What you really need is what is called the Veritas Oracle agent.  This
feature allows you to
do on-line hot backups of your Oracle database.  The agent interfaces with
RMAN.  RMAN
by default backs up to disk, but with the Veritas Oracle agent you can
backup directly to
tape.  Check the documentation on "Netbackup for Oracle" System
administator's Guide.
This solution has been working well for us.  We are backing up 11 Oracle
instances daily.
We do a weekly level 0 and a daily level 1.  Warning, the Veritas Oracle
agent is not inexpensive...
but it does the job.  We run our databases 24x7.  We have successfully used
RMAN to recover to a point in
time on several occaisions.

PS: The "Dababase Edition" referrs to the Veritas File system which is a
different Veritas product
that allows you to manage UNIX file systems by creating logical volumes,
etc.  Is it designed to
provide almost the same I/O performance as raw partitions for Oracle.

=============================

Carl Stehman
Pepco
202-331-6619

  "Rien, Julie L. [C]"
  <RienJL AT nima DOT mil>                 To:

  Sent by:                  "'veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu'"

  veritas-bu-admin@mailman. <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

  eng.auburn.edu                    cc:
                                    Subject:        [Veritas-bu] VERITAS
                            Database Edition for Oracle on Solaris
  10/03/2002 04:33 PM

To all:

System details:
SUN Enterprise 5500
2 A1000 Arrays
1 L1000 Tape Library

Software:
Solaris 8
Oracle 8i
VERITAS Volume Manager
VERITAS NetBackUP

We currently allow 4.5 hours of down time a night to do daily exports and
backups through oracle export and netbackup respectively.  Our window of
down time is shrinking beyond a point that utilizing incremental backup
will
not shorten our backup time enough.

I have been researching solutions to this and have come up with two options
to allow for 24hr by 7day uptime but allow for solid backups.
1. SNAPSHOT -- will not work because of the oracle db (this is a db
server...its only purpose)
2. VERITAS Database Edition for Oracle on Solaris

I was hoping that this group may have some success stories with VERITAS
Database Edition for Oracle on Solaris OR suggestions on other solutions
you
have used.

I am interested in hearing your restoring experiences with either of these
options also.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Julie