Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 (patch 1) - W2K SAN Media Server (MSCS)

2002-10-04 05:55:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 (patch 1) - W2K SAN Media Server (MSCS)
From: andy.skates AT btopenworld DOT com (andy.skates AT btopenworld DOT com)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:55:31 +0100 (BST)
Setup:

NBU 4.5 (patch 1) running on W2K Advanced Server as a SAN Media Server.
Server:  Compaq ProLiant DL360
HBA:     Emulex LP8000
Switch:  Brocade 3800
Tape:    STK 9940A
Silo:    STK L700e

NBU Master Server is running on a Solaris 8 server.

I have a couple of problems backing up a W2K server running Microsoft Cluster
Services.

FIRSTLY

When backing up either the SAN attached disk OR the local C drive to 9940A tape
drives (SSO attached via SAN) I get really bad throughput (2Mb/sec).

I have the same spec server without MSCS running and I'm getting 12Mb/sec.

Question.

Has anyone seen this before with MSCS?
Do I have to do anything special?
(BTW the server is running QuotaAdvisor and Anti-Virus s/w)

SECONDLY.
With Cluster Services, Anti-Virus and QuotaAdvisor all stopped I initially get
a backup speed of 12Mb/sec, but this falls fairly quickly to about 3Mb/sec
(this happens with OTM enabled and disabled)

Question.

Yet again has anyone seen this before, or have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andy Skates

andy.skates AT btopenworld DOT com