Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Choice of platform for Master Server

2002-10-03 19:56:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Choice of platform for Master Server
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:56:13 -0500
I have heard it referred to as serialization by a few people but can't find it
actually called this in the manual... at least the unix SAG I'm looking at
now.  It's a feature that remaps the drives based on serial number of the
drive and/or robot.  If you're drives support serialization it will work.  I
guess most new drives do support this... or so I've been told.

IMO, this is a feature that makes 4.5 a MUST in any SSO shop, especially
Windows (because the way it creates the drive name is less controllable than
unix).

In the 4.5 MM for Unix SAG check out ENABLE_AUTO_PATH_CORRECTION vm.conf entry
on page 341.

On Windows it is ON by default.  SAG says to add DISABLE_AUTO_PATH_CORRECTION
to vm.conf to turn it off.

Here's how it works in a nutshell on NT...
- you got 3 tape drives.  the OS decides to call them (since it's out of your
control) Tape0 Tape1 Tape2
- you add them in media manger as Lib1Tape0, Lib1Tape1 and Lib1Tape2
- you reboot but don't see the 2nd drive for some reason
- your OS now sees Tape0 Tape1... but Tape1 is the physical drive that used to
be called Tape2

in 3.4 w/ SS0 environment this is BAD!!!

 in 4.5 when the Device Manager service starts it notices that serial numbers
of the drives don't quite match up.  It automatically changes Lib1Tape2, which
used to point to Tape2, to now point to Tape1 for this media server only and
Lib1Tape1 goes to a DOWN state, again, only for this media server.

COOL!!!

- Scott

                    "W. Curtis Preston"

                    <curtis.lists@backupce        To:     <scott.kendall AT
abbott DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                    ntral.com>                    cc:

                                                  Subject:     RE: [Veritas-bu]
Choice of platform for Master Server
                    10/03/2002 11:07 AM