Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle backup setup

2002-10-01 13:09:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle backup setup
From: LeeAnne.Pedersen AT gov.ab DOT ca (Lee Anne Pedersen)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 11:09:26 -0600
Netbackup gurus:

I am responsible for setting up an Oracle backup, and having no Oracle
experience, I'm hoping someone can advise me on the basic steps to take.
Apologies in advance for using any incorrect terminology, but I'm more
familiar with MS SQL Server. We've only had Oracle for a few months, so
even our Oracle admin has only basic Oracle administration experience.

This is in an entirely Windows 2000 Advanced Server environment, using
NetBackup 341_3A with one Oracle agent license. Oracle is version 8i. My
first step is to test the setup in our development/user acceptance environment,
both of which are on one node of a cluster (a SQL Server cluster; Oracle is
not clustered). Both environments share two disks, one having all the data,
the other having a copy of the control files. Archived redo logs are not
enabled, though they may be in the future if recommended to do so.

It seems best to use RMAN and a recovery catalogue, but from what I
understand, the catalogue database/tablespace(??) cannot be on the same
disk/server as the databases being backed up, and then the catalogue itself
still has to be backed up, but how? Where would the Oracle agent be
installed, on the server being backed up or the server with the catalogue
database?

I found that the NetBackup documentation just left me hanging after the
client and agent installation, by referring me back to Oracle documentation.
I've read lots of Oracle documentation, but I'm still at a loss about how to
set this up.

Thank you for any assistance!
Lee Anne

Lee Anne Pedersen
LAN/Server Analyst

Alberta Corporate Service Centre (ACSC)
DCS Delivery Team E
Ph: 780-427-2504
LeeAnne.Pedersen AT gov.ab DOT ca

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and or privileged
recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action
relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply,
should be deleted or destroyed.