Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bptm and BUFFER tuning

2002-09-27 19:12:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bptm and BUFFER tuning
From: ssesar AT rcn DOT com (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:12:16 -0400
Hi Bill,

Remember me? It's Steve; I teamed up with you  in NBU training.

Anyway, regarding your question:

The problem is, that you can never stream your drives with 8x64k buffers. The
math, is that you want your total buffer size to equal the maximum throughput
of your drives. This actually diminishes your throughput. The drives *want*
to be streamed.

You are correct, in that 64K buffers are what's recommended by Veritas. Do not
let this be your gospel. Test!

I'm using DLT7K's, so I'm not sure what the throughput on 8K's is, but here's
how I'm configured:

I read this on this list a few months ago, and my own testing confirms:

I expect roughly 6MB/sec throughput.

divide  6291456 bytes (6MB/sec throughput) by  65536 bytes (64k buffer size) =
96 NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS

Make sure that you are allocating enough shared memory to handle this.

HTH,

Steve