Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multi-homed media server?

2002-09-26 12:49:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multi-homed media server?
From: Steve.White AT PacifiCorp DOT com (White, Steve)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:49:57 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2657C.BED9A580

I have used mutli-homed Sun Media servers for years with no problems.  The
way I typically have handled it was to make sure the multiple NICs are on
different subnets, then balance the clients out across the subnets by
providing each client with a host file entry for the media server, pointing
to the IP address on the subnet you want that client to use.  Works quite
well, but you do have to manage those host files. I have found it to work
best if the clients are also multi-homed, with the NIC over which the
backups run on the same subnet as you want them to use for the media server.

Steve White