Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP expectations

2002-09-26 12:48:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP expectations
From: scurry AT yahoo-inc DOT com (Steve Curry)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:48:39 -0700
Yucel,

We backup close to 350TB a week over NDMP.  The thing is that it either
works or does not, there is no middle ground.  It seems to be the most
efficient way for us to get the data off our NetApp filers.  It puts
about a 15% hit cpu wise on our filer and seems to climb about 5% for
each additional stream (although I wouldn't recommend more than 2
streams on a busy box).  The things that I don't like about NDMP include
the fact that file history is very difficult to capture and therefore on
most of our boxes, we do not capture that data.  This means if someone
needs to restore a file or directory, I have to restore the whole volume
to our spare filer and pull that data off.  Filers are very reliable
though and because of snapshots that is a rare case.  I also wish that
you could do dynamic drive sharing with NDMP host, but you can't for
now.  Veritas does however promise that feature sometime next year I
think.  We'll see... ;)

If there is anything else you want to ask me, please feel free.

  Steve Curry
  Guardian of Y! Production Data
  Yahoo! Inc.

  (e)  scurry AT yahoo-inc DOT com